Wednesday, June 7, 2017

I May or May Not Be a Procrastinator

I promised myself I would never travel the same day as the last day of school ever again...but here we are. As the school year comes to an end, I anticipate last minute everything (I'm no better than the kiddos). I have to get grades in, finish up packing, and put together my summer reading list. Although my Goodreads Want To Read list continues to grow, I find myself turning to last minute suggestions and re-reads as I closeout my third year in the classroom.

The Handmaids Tale: I read this title in college as part of my Postcolonial Lit. course, but decided to give it a second chance becuase I've been watching the Hulu adaptation since its release in April. I've always loved visual adaptations of novels, and this one is no exception. The show has peaked my interest in the dystopian nature of the novel, so I'll be revisiting this title over the summer.

The Residence: Inside the Private World of the White House: This book was recommended to me by one of my mom's friends. I saw it on the kitchen counter the other day, immediately checked out Goodreads for a rating, and started flipping through it. I'm not much of a political or history buff, but I'll give any book (even Twilight) a chance.

You're probably thinking to yourself that two books are a pretty measly summer reading list for an English teacher, and you're right! I need more titles, people! Please let me know of any books you've enjoyed this year, and I'll be sure to check them out. I'll need something to keep me busy at the beach after all.


2 comments:

  1. With all the traveling and visiting you'll be doing in Europe I'm surprised you'll do any reading, although it is a long flight.

    ReplyDelete

Nonfiction is Amazing!

High school English teachers, and maybe teachers of literacy and reading across all ages, are guilty of over-emphasizing fiction over nonfic...