Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Anne's summer reading list

Summer -- my favorite time to kick back on the patio with sunshine on my face, a cold ice-tea on the table, and an awesome book in my hand.  My summer reading list is extensive this year; I may need more of a vacation to get through them all!  Here's a few on my list:

Goodbye Days, a novel by Jeff Zentner:  I just started this book yesterday, and I am hooked.  Three teenagers die in a tragic, awful car accident.  As the book begins, a friend of all three kids is attending their funerals -- and contemplating his own guilt and culpability in the accident.  The narrator, you see, sent a text to the students as they were driving, and a half-written response was found on the phone of one of the dead teens.  I'm not sure where it goes from here, but I'm in until the end.

This Is Just My Face, Try Not To Stare by Gabourey Sibide.  I saw her talk about this autobiography on The Daily Show, and she was witty and sharp and insightful -- a far remove from what I thought of her based on her performance in Precious, the movie.  I'm going to "read" this one as an audiobook because she narrates it herself, and my favorite audiobooks are those where the author narrates it.  I can't wait to hear her voice tell her stories.

The Fact of a Body:  Murder and a Memoir by Alexandria Marzano-Lesnevich.  This one fits right into a genre I love to read, macabre true stories.  The author is an attorney who is working to defend men accused of murder, and one of her clients has a story she is compelled to explore further.  Somehow his story also ties into her own story.  I love In Cold Blood by Truman Capote, and this one in its description sounds a little similar to it.

The Goddesses by Swan Huntley:  Best I can tell, this author somehow got into my head and stole my life fantasy.  The narrator moves to Kona, Hawaii and has a midlife adventure.  I want to move to Kona, Hawaii and have a midlife, a rest-of-my-life, adventure!  This one arrives in July and will go immediately to the top of the reading list.

Heading back into Goodbye Days for awhile!  Happy reading!

3 comments:

  1. Can I borrow Goodbye Days when you finish? (And you'll have to show me how to italicize in the comments, if you know how/there's a way to.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would definitely let you borrow the book, but I myself am borrowing it from the Waukesha Public Library. I'll let you know when I return it, so you'll know when it's available again! :) And I have no idea how to italicize in comments. Let's just go with the idea that we all know we mean to and desperately want to italicize titles, but the technology won't let us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne, I'm going to be stealing some of these titles! Can't wait for summer!

    ReplyDelete

Nonfiction is Amazing!

High school English teachers, and maybe teachers of literacy and reading across all ages, are guilty of over-emphasizing fiction over nonfic...